Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs
From: Christian Zoffoli <czoffoli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:42:15 +0100
Cc: rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 06:43:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Il 26/01/2011 11:44, Rudi Ahlers ha scritto:
[cut]
> So, what other options do we have, which is not slow?

to increase performances you can skip iscsi and you can try a SAS SAN
(with some LSI SAS switch if you need more than 4 servers linked to a
single SAN)

actually you can have a large amount of power inside a server chassis so
...the problem is only I/O and sometimes one storage cannot handle more
than 2/3 servers

[cut]
> But this soon becomes very expensive, often beyond the point of making
> a decent profit out of the setup without charging the clients so much
> that they'll rather go elsewhere. And in many cases it means new NAS
> and SAN equipment as well since not all of them support infiniband

infiniband is not so expensive ...if you move ~ all to infiniband is
very cost effective but you have to invest a large amount of time.

Christian