Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs

To: Christian Zoffoli <czoffoli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs
From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:44:40 +0200
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jia Rao <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 02:46:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Christian Zoffoli
<czoffoli@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you want to push on performance the best one is:
>
> CLVM over iSCSI
>
> if you need fully redundancy you have to double everything:
> - switches
> - network ports
> - PSUs
>
> and
>
> - storages.

That's what I'm trying to get to.

> If you want to a completely redundant storage solution you can use DRBD
> in active-active
>
> Just some notes:
> - VMs over files over NFS is slow (only some vendors have a relative
> fast NFS appliance).
> - VMs over files over a cluster FS is slow

So, what other options do we have, which is not slow?

> everytime you add a layer (in particular a clustered FS layer) your
> performances drop down ... so make it simple
>

> Best regards,
> Christian
>
> P.S. another interesting approach would be NFS over RDMA (infiniband)
> ...most of the advantages of NFS with less disadvantages compared to NFS
> over TCP/IP

But this soon becomes very expensive, often beyond the point of making
a decent profit out of the setup without charging the clients so much
that they'll rather go elsewhere. And in many cases it means new NAS
and SAN equipment as well since not all of them support infiniband

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com