Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualization

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 13:16 +0000 schrieb Dermot:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to virtualisation and am a bit lost.
>
> I have a shinny new server that must run CentOS 5.5. I need to create
> a VM of an Ubuntu sever to run as the main guest. I wanted to use
> paravirtualisation as I read it's can perform better. The bit that I
> am getting stuck on is forcing the virt-install to use
> paravirtualisation and the installation distribution location. I have
> a iso image mounted and shared via http. I can browse the installation
> tree. It looks the same as the one here:
>
> http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/ubuntu/dists/maverick
>
> I have tried giving virt-install different path parts to install from
> but I always get the error that the installation distribution is
> invalid.
>
> Can anyone help understand what the installation requires please?

never tried virt-install with debian and derivates, but i would
recommend to use the "netinstall-method" provided by the
debian-installer

Just put
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/xen/xm-debian.cfg

in e.g. /etc/xen/lucid.cfg

edit the vif= and disk=-lines to your needs.

and start the the installation

xm create -c lucid.cfg install=true

and ur done

Another nice approach is the usage of xen-tools.

> Thanks,
> D.

hth,

thomas