Re: [Xen-users] RHEL6 beta vs. Xen

To: "Steven Timm" <timm@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RHEL6 beta vs. Xen
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:03:29 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:05:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Has anyone yet figured out what it would take to make Xen
> run on top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 beta?
> We are heavily invested in Xen under RHEL5 (actually
> a redhat clone) distribution, but already the xen kernel
> they are shipping with update 4 and 5 is shaky and has bugs
> which they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix.
>
> Basically I am wondering if Redhat 6 is just going to
> have benign neglect and ignore Xen, or if there is going
> to be stuff built into the OS which actively mitigates
> against Xen in favor of KVM.

RedHat has made it clear that they intend to shift away from Xen and toward
KVM.  So, if you insist on using RHEL, be advised that you'll likely end up
having a much easier time using KVM, as well.  If you don't mind using KVM, you
should be okay.  I'm sure you can get Xen to run on RHEL6, but, if you want a
Supported/Integrated build of Xen, you'll need to switch to one of the
distributions that still packages and Supports Xen (Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
SLES/SuSE, etc.).

I doubt RedHat will actually put anything into their O/S to prevent you from
using Xen, but they're definitely going to make it easier to use KVM (their
product) on RHEL than Xen.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.