RE: [Xen-users] New xen user, basic inquiries

To: "fmb fmb" <feedmb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] New xen user, basic inquiries
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:14:43 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:16:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, I was just curious.  I've used pygrub before, but the current lot of
virtual machines we've deployed don't use it.

The upside of specifying kernel/ramdisk in our domU configs is that I
have one place to install kernel updates.  The downside is that the
distro tools (rpm, yum) don't know about it, and the kernel modules
installed on a domU can become out of date with the kernel if we don't
update all at once.

When that happens, it's not disastrous, because our ramdisk image
already contains all the modules we need.  But we do get a few boot-time
warnings.  Overall I like being able to supply all modules in a ramdisk
(or even in the kernel image, in which case the ramdisk becomes
optional) but it does feel like I'm fighting with the distro at times,
as the distro wants to behave in another way.

After years of Xen/VMWare, we're still learning and just scratching the
surface of how we can take full advantage of virtualization, or so it
seems.

-Jeff