Re: [Xen-users] New xen user, basic inquiries

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM, fmb fmb<feedmb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started testing XEN on centos 5.3 host. I would like to know the
> preferable practice to store domu partitions. Currently I have one hard
> drive only, so I made 2 volume groups, one for the host OS and the other one
> (i.e. xen_vg) for domu. I wanted to make 5 domu instances, so I made 10
> logical volumes -5 root (1G each) and 5 swap (256 MB each). I assigned each
> domu a root and swap partitions, and used yum and rpm to populate the
> partitions.

Using yum and rpm to create domU is actually quite advanced setup. Are
you sure you just started using Xen? :D

Don't forget postinstall stuff, like system-config-authentication to
(at least) enable shadow and md5 passwords.

> For my current setup, is this the best scenario?

It's a generic setup that should work well on most cases. 1GB for root
is bit cramped though, as logs can fill up space quite easily.

> I am thinking of adding a new hard dive for domu only, but I read somewhere
> that having the swap partitions on a separate hard drive is better, would
> you comment on this please?

It's usually desirable to split OS disk from application and data.
As for swap, putting it on separate disk would minimize the effect of
rogue domU swapping heavily (possibly because lack of memory, common
on hosting environment). IMHO a well-designed system should not
utilize swap as it can be performance killer.

> I’ve had some messages during the boot time (4gb seg fixup...) and to remove
> them I was told to remove the tls libs, but I noticed that tls is already
> empty, so I am curious if this indicates improper installation of the domu
> instances?

I haven't use 32bit domU in a long time, so I could be wrong, but
kernel-xen RPM should have /etc/ld.so.conf.d/kernelcap*.conf that
contains

hwcap 0 nosegneg

IMHO it's easier to simply use 64bit dom0 and domU.

--
Fajar