RE: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour

To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:25:05 +1000
Cc: Klaus Steinberger <klaus.steinberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:26:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> James Harper wrote:
> >

> > I haven't had any such problems on any servers I've installed GPLPV
on.
> > When GPLPV is active, the qemu adapter doesn't exist as far as the
> > windows TCP/IP driver is concerned. In the bin directory there is
> > actually a 'copyconfig' tool which you can run just after install
> > (before reboot) or if you boot with /nogplpv. That will copy the
network
> > config from the qemu adapter to the pv adapter, which is very useful
if
> > the machine is a domain controller (_very_ slow to boot with an
> > unconfigured network adapter) or if it just has lots of IP addresses
> > (our web server has 30 or so).
> >

> Yeah, Win servers are really unwilling without a network. The MS
> Loopback adapter does help in this cases, as it does in every *ix.
> But my point is that the property dialog hangs when reconfiguring from
> DHCP to static manually (this can traditionally take quite a while,
but
> not THAT long). I had trouble using copyconfig, so the cause might be
> the same.
> This happens on a VM migrated from a physical machine. Before
installing
> gplpv, I removed all disks and lan drivers.
>
> So maybe there's some cornercase in the drivers triggered when
changing
> ip addressing.

In a previous (unreleased) version there was a problem with the device
stopping and starting - it would occasionally fail to stop the network
adapter because it thought there were packets still to be sent or
something. I thought I'd fixed that problem but it was occasional enough
that it was hard to be sure that it was really fixed. I haven't seen it
since though.

Is it happening every time?

Copyconfig only mucks around in the registry. It doesn't stop or start
any adapters. It has to be run with the qemu device present though I
think.

James