RE: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour

To: "Klaus Steinberger" <klaus.steinberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV 0.10.55 net misbehaviour
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:37:28 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:38:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>  > After reboot, the new LAN device is configured for DHCP, which
isn't
>  > good for me so I assign IP address, gw and DNS. When clicking OK,
I'm
>  > warned about a duplicate IP address (from the dormant RTL8139, as
>  > expected). I accept the duplicity and then the taskbar interface
icon
>  > as well as the status dialog shows "aquiring network address" for
ever,
>  > the NIC properties dialog stops to respond, the interface won't
come up.
>  > After rebooting the VM another time, network seems to work
correctly.

>  > Is gplpv supposed to work like that? I wonder if the XP fix applies
>
> This has nothing to do with GPLPV. Just Windows that doesn't like two
> network devices configured with the same static IP Address, even when
> disabled.
>
> I run into the same trouble, but on reboot windows even didn't accept
> the address for the GPLPV device and came up without working network,
> that killed a Terminalserver Install for me.
>
> So do the following:
>
> Reboot with "nogplpv" and switch the RTL device to "DHCP", then reboot
> with gplpv and assign the static address to the xennet device.
Otherwise
> you always will run into deep trouble.

I haven't had any such problems on any servers I've installed GPLPV on.
When GPLPV is active, the qemu adapter doesn't exist as far as the
windows TCP/IP driver is concerned. In the bin directory there is
actually a 'copyconfig' tool which you can run just after install
(before reboot) or if you boot with /nogplpv. That will copy the network
config from the qemu adapter to the pv adapter, which is very useful if
the machine is a domain controller (_very_ slow to boot with an
unconfigured network adapter) or if it just has lots of IP addresses
(our web server has 30 or so).

James