Re: [Xen-users] xm console hanging

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Ian Tobin <itobin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Adding
>
> extra ="3 xencons=tty"
>
> seem to enable it to start working again, very strange but thanks to
> everyone

It's not that strange, really. Earlier versions of Xen uses exisisting
device names (or hijack, if you prefer the term) as console (ttyS0)
and disk (hda or sda). Sometime in Xen 3.x the default configuration
changed to xvc0 (console) and xvda (disk), but you can still have the
old behavior (and also some non-standard behavior) by adjusting config
files.

You didn't mention how you installed your domU (using yast?
virt-install? manually?) but it seems there's a mismatch in your Xen
version, install method, or domU about what the console device is.
Your solution (adding xencons=tty) modifies the config file so it
matches with what domU wants, while my suggestion (setting xvc0 as
console in inittab) modifies domU to match what Xen config file wants.

Note that Xen now supports vfb (GUI) console for PV guest as well
(just like HVM guests) with "vfb" configuration line (run "xm create
--help_config | grep vfb" to see if your version supports it). This
config makes it possible to have two console, text-based (accessible
via "xm console") and GUI-based (via vnc/SDL/virt-viewer).

As additional info, the default console changed again to hvc0 in newer
pv_ops kernel. Also in these versions disks are always recognized as
xvda (even if you put hda or sda in the config file).

Regards,

Fajar