RE: [Xen-users] Solved - Hardware for HVM [update] - Asus M2A-VMworking!

To: "Tom Brown" <xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Solved - Hardware for HVM [update] - Asus M2A-VMworking!
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:36:43 +1100
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:37:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> what? I thought the AMD folks (Matt ??) had stated on the list that
the
> BIOS makers did not need to do anything to enable AMD's hvm
> capabilities... that was sort of the neat thing about the AMD
solution, it
> would work in any motherboard with the right socket because you didn't
> have to worry about whether the BIOS supported it or not... now it
sounds
> like (at least in some versions) the BIOS makers are explicitly
disabling
> it without providing a re-enable capability... ouch.

My understanding was that you didn't need to do anything to enable it,
but that it could be disabled semi-permanently (eg like the P3 CPUID
function, once disabled it can't be re-enabled until the next reboot).
Not being able to do so could be a security concern...

James