Re: [Xen-users] Hardware for HVM [update]

To: Christoph <princess@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Hardware for HVM [update]
From: Age_M <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:52:17 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 04:52:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Christoph,

I just checked the recent 1604 version of your BIOS and it seems that Virtualization-Feature is available under "Advanced / CPU Configuration". It's called "AMD Virtualization"... Maybe you consider a BIOS-Update? But this only makes sense, if you have the "svm" flag! So check this first. And keep in mind that bios updates could go terribly wrong (but I guess your motherboard is able to recover broken bios-flashes, so personaly, I would try this).

Greetz Age_M

Christoph wrote:
I am using a Asus M2A-VM mainboard with Athlon X2 2300 cpu. The
mainboard features a AMD 690G chipset. I thought this hardware is amd-v
compatible. While using xen with hvm I get the message:

root@pluto:/etc/xen# xm create /etc/xen/win.cfg -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/win.cfg".
Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your
CPU and enabled in your BIOS?

Nothing to configure in the BIOS. No comments at the vendors website.
Who knows if hvm works with the above hardware?

If this hardware/mainboard is not compatible which one would be? I want
to use the rest of hardware (cpu, ram, nics)

Xen 3.1 is running in ubuntu 7.10.

Best regards, Christoph