Re: [Xen-users] XEN - Broadcom issue: survey

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:54:08PM -0800, Pezza wrote:

> Hey Pasi,
>
> it's Xen 3.1 compiled from stable source (downloaded last thursday).
> It's running on a HP Proliant DL380 G5 with 6gb ram. Host OS is CentOS 5
> (kernel 2.6.18 built inside Xen 3.1), guest is Win2K3 service pack 2.

Did you download from mercurial (hg) ? or are you using tarball?

Xen 3.1.1 contains around 400 patches/bugfixes over 3.1.0, so you should be
running at least 3.1.1.

Xen 3.1.2 was released yesterday, so that would be the best option if you
want to compile your own version.

Have you tried running the default xen and kernel-xen rpm's from centos5?

CentOS 5.1 is coming in two weeks or so, and it will contain patched/tested
Xen 3.1.0 including all the vendor enhancements.

> The funny thing is that if I take the same disk image and the same conf file
> and I run them on a XenExpress machine, everything runs fine and I see no
> packet drop. Note that I said the same conf and image, thus I'm *not* using
> PV, just the plain XenExpress server and a manual "xm create" command;
> my XenExpress, thus, is running 3.0.4, not 3.1 and is on a different hw (you
> can check earlier messages to this list for the details).
>
> So, what I guess from this is that it's either an hw problem (network card
> drivers?) or a difference in the kernel/dom0 configuration...

XenExpress also contains patches over "vanilla"/standard Xen 3.1.0.

-- Pasi