Re: [Xen-users] XEN - Broadcom issue: survey

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 11:27:44AM -0800, Pezza wrote:

> Pasi,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> I understood from this and other mailing lists that using an HVM machine
> with no PV drivers would result in a poor performance, but it would work
> anyway.
> My problem is that, due to this packet loss, HVM machines are not usable,
> because they get some "strange" errors from time to time (session breaks,
> corrupt files, etc...).
> So you're saying that lack of PV drivers is the cause and thus that HVM
> machines are not stable if we don't use PV drivers?

Basicly, yes.

HVM domU hardware emulation (NIC, disk controller, etc) is done by QEMU in
Xen.

QEMU people can possibly tell you more about expected performance and problems.

And I bet you can find many comparisons with some googling.. performance
with and without PV drivers in HVM domU.

-- Pasi