Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?

To: Tony Hoyle <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?
From: Yves-gaël Chény <yves-gael.cheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:06:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:04:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If i understand it's linux domain.

  1. make a disk file qemu-img for example
  2. mount the partition of you PV in the dom0 and the qemu disk-file
  3. make a rsync -a between the two mount point
  4. make a /boot with kernel, initrd ....
  5. running in hvm mode on a linux live cdrom
  6. install a grub or a lilo

Regards
Yves

Tony Hoyle a écrit :
Hi,

I'm trying to convert a number of PV domains to HVM domains. The snag is they're all in separate partitions, so I need to get a unified disk image.

My current plan is to mount the root of dom0 inside a booted domu (single user mode) and dd the entire contents of the virtual disk /dev/sda into a file on the dom0 disk. Is this likely to work? It's gonna be slow I know due to the dom0->domu->dom0 translation but is there perhaps a faster way? I presume xen itself creates a partition table somewhere and if I could get at that and do it entire thing in dom0... is this just a python script generating it at runtime or is it stored somewhere?

Tony

Yves-Gaël Chény
Responsable développements techniques
Responsable Achats techniques
Responsable RH technique

261 route de Clisson 44230 St Sébastien sur Loire
Tel : 02 40 97 62 67 - 08 73 77 24 91
http://www.tranquilitsystems.com/
yves-gael.cheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tranquil IT Systems . SAS 37 000 ¤