RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU

To: bdubas@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:07:44 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 May 2007 02:06:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that's probably about par for the course. It will vary a little bit
based on which network device type you use - but not much.

The right solution is to install a Para-virtual driver, but for Windows,
you can't just build one yourself (unless you are experienced in Windows
driver design), so you need one that matches your Xen version (easiest
way to achieve that is to install a package with Xen and the PV driver,
such as XenExpress). The para-virtual driver will install as a device
driver in Windows, but instead of talking to a virtualized "true"
network device, it just packs up the data to go on the network and sends
it directly to the Dom0 network backend driver.

The reason that you get poor performance without the PV driver is that
the device-modeling is adding processor usage to the processing of the
data going to the network, because each access to the network device
will be intercepted by the hypervisor, sent off to Qemu-dm in Dom0, and
then processed there, before the hypervisor re-awakens the guest. This
is probably about 10x slower than doing a PCI-access on real hardware.

> 2. When I install software lots of processor time is used by
> the kernel
> mode (this is probably related to disk IO operations). It use
> about 90% of
> processor while the application (user processor time) use about 10%.

Yes, that's probably correct. Again, you can get around this with PV
drivers as described above (but now transferring Disk-packets to Dom0).

> 3. When I use more than 2 processors for HVM quest, after it
> start XEN top
> show that it use 300% (for 4 processors) even if it don't perform any
> operation. Inside the quest manager show that system use about 6% of
> processor resources.

This doesn't sound right to me. I'm not sure what could be wrong tho'.

--
Mats