RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU
From: bdubas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 10:00:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 May 2007 00:59:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

At last I can notice that I run Windows 2003 in SMP mode on top of XEN
3.0.4 that is currently available on Gentoo 2007 profile. I have some
minors problems with performance witch is:
1. Network use some CPU while I transfer big files (probably it is related
to not using hardware CRC computing). Maximum transfer that I reached is
some about 10mbps with 30% of processor usage.
2. When I install software lots of processor time is used by the kernel
mode (this is probably related to disk IO operations). It use about 90% of
processor while the application (user processor time) use about 10%.
3. When I use more than 2 processors for HVM quest, after it start XEN top
show that it use 300% (for 4 processors) even if it don't perform any
operation. Inside the quest manager show that system use about 6% of
processor resources.

Any way in the normal work when all is installed the virtualization work
very stabile and the performance its enough for what we do, but it will be
good if it could be improved somehow. So if somebody have some experience
and suggestion how to improve it I will be gratefully.

Best Bart.