RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU

To: bdubas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 14:14:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 05:27:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello to you.

> Currently, at work, I try to establish the environment based
> on XEN virtualization solution. We want to us it to host
> Windows 2003 systems in SMP mode and as primary requirement
> it need to support more the one CPU. So I'm very interested
> how this discussion ended.
>

> Daniel, did you run SMP Windows in DOMU with more than one
> vCPU? It's work well on Xen 3.0.4 version?
>

> I try the gentoo 2006.1 with XEN 3.0.2 and while its fail I
> try openSUSE with XEN 3.0.3 witch work well without acpi and
> one VCPU. While I try to set acpi and apic it run installer
> using two VCPUs well but hang when it try to detect the
> hardware. So I consider to try porting the Xen 3.0.4 to do
> that and answer for the posted question will be very useful
> while it save my time while I will know if it still "worth to
> fight". If not for a while I will use only one VCPU instant.

Xen 3.0.2 definitely doesn't have the relevant code to give the guest
info on number of CPU's. 3.0.4 supports SMP ACPI tables from the
hvmloader, which is what SMP guests need.

3.0.3, I don't believe has any improvement on the SMP-guest
capabilities, but there are some other improvements in the HVM support.

--
Mats