Re: [Xen-users] SPEC VIRT

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:11 -0600, Tim Freeman wrote:
> "The Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC) is forming a group to
> discuss whether virtualisation benchmarks are needed and, if so, then set
> those
> benchmarks over an estimated three-month process."
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=7224
>
> Is anyone from the Xen community able to be involved?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

I think its needed.. first and foremost in the web hosting industry.

Many people pay for resources they just aren't getting as advertised,
which gives the platform advertised a bad reputation.

I just don't think they're needed *yet* as the technology (in particular
Xen) is still in its infancy. I don't think comprehensive standards
could be responsibly established at this point .. but just my opinion :)

When would the estimated three month process begin? Since this stands to
cause many people's bosses to begin nitpicking even more than they
already do .. I've submitted the story to /. with the warning get
involved now .. or don't complain when your held accountable to the
results :)

Best,
-Tim