Re: [Xen-users] SPEC VIRT

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 08:46 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2006 at 12:10, Tim Post wrote:
>

> Q: Isn't it sufficient to run a non-virtualization-aware benchmark within a
> DomU
> to get the performance of the virtualization? When running the same program
> in a
> camparable native environment, you could get the overhead of virtualization
> by
> comparing the results, right?

I think the idea is to setup some standards that define just how
different they should be on a variety of platforms.. how much of a
difference should be considered acceptable and in what areas. I'm all
for the standard, just not yet :) I agree, any standards agreed on would
be loose at best.

> > Many people pay for resources they just aren't getting as advertised,
> > which gives the platform advertised a bad reputation.
>
> Depends on the advertising...

I work for a few larger hosts, and have heard some real horror stories.
There's lots of people flocking to Xen hosts because they're hoping to
get what they pay for.. but really have no idea of knowing just what
they have.

These are mostly non technical folks who just want a VPS to host an
e-commerce store. They typically never venture further than the web
control panel, and really aren't apt enough to realize they've been
ripped off.

Some hosts using Xen have been selling 128 MB dom-u's as 1GB, cheating
on drive space.. cramming 30 guests on a Celeron, etc. Since Xen does
not lend well to overselling, some less reputable hosts have been
finding other ways to cut corners for better profit.

The end result is, we have to more or less defend Xen as a viable
technology citing the fact that you can't stop determined scammers from
scamming.

While yes, its also partly the user to blame for playing on a field
without knowing the basics (just like if you own a car you should know
how to change your tires and oil) .. its still wrong, and does give Xen
a black eye. This hurts anyone who has made Xen their favorite wrench in
their admin toolbox.

I'm not even going to go into what some hosts do with Virtuozzo :)

> [...]
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

Best,