Re: [Xen-users] Getting frustrated with Xen

Jerry Amundson wrote:
I'm back after being unsubscribed after a month or so, and I have to
say I'm already frustrated by a continuing theme (or themes). Xen is
not a "package", per se, it is more of an *operating* *system*, and
installing from source is not something to go into lightly. Did you
really need to?
It seems like there are some unrealistic expectations. I have been doing Linux since the 45-floppy disk days, and I wouldn't try to install Xen from source unless I really had to for some reason. Also it has been my impression Xen 3.0 is intended as beta-quality software and not pretending to be anything different, but for some reason, some people seem to have a very different impression and expectations to go along with it.

I think it is purely the nature of the development cycle and where Xen 3.0 is at in its evolution and not some kind of deficiency or flaw, right now it's just not something to get into if you don't have a high tolerance for frustration.
gotten to this point. For example, an error early on (not currently in
front of me :-) about missing file during boot could be a fairly
common problem referencing xen files with "/boot" in grub.conf - do
other previous entries have it? No - grub these days typically
references the /boot partition directly, so the context is
/filename....
I posted a message that pointed that out, but no one replied, so I don't know if anybody noticed. I barely have time to read the mailing list. If someone has a bad attitude, I am more likely to just skip it.

Jonathan