Re: [Xen-users] xen on amd64 or intel

Hello Nicholas,

I used xen 3.0.1 with 64-bit debian sarge for dom0, and several 64-
and 32-bit sarge domU's. The domU kernel was 64-bit even for the
32-bit linux'es. Hardware is amd64 (venice) with 4GB memory.

This worked quite good for several applications that require 32-bit
linux. However I had no chance to get DB2(*) running in such a 32-bit
domU. The problem was that DB2 did not find any shared memory at all,
a "ipcs -l" did not show any shared memory limits in such a 32-bit
domU, but only something as:

        ------ Shared Memory Limits --------

        ------ Semaphore Limits --------
        max number of arrays = 1024
        max semaphores per array = 250
        max semaphores system wide = 32000
        max ops per semop call = 32
        semaphore max value = 32767
        ------ Messages: Limits --------
        max queues system wide = 1024
        max size of message (bytes) = 8192
        default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384

Shutting down such a 32-bit domU also most time resulted in a zombie.
I finally moved everything back to plain 32-bit (with PAE to make use
of all 4 GB memory).

I don't know if this was fixed yet, or I maybe should have tried to
use a 32-bit kernel for the domU's. I might give it another try as
soon as etch is stable.
--
Seneca

(*) DB2 is also available as 64-bit, however it will not work on
    debian amd64 because it is not plain 64-bit but a mixture of 64-
    and 32-bit programs. Same for Oracle btw.