xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Booting Dom0 with SLES10 on JS21

On Jul 8, 2006, at 4:10 PM, poff wrote:

I _really_ wish you would ask these question on the list, you are not the
first with this problem and you won't be the last. :(
Thanks Dan

yaboot.conf:

[...]
    root = /dev/sda3

Well, you figured this one out :)

    append = " quiet sysrq=1 insmod=sym53c8xx insmod=ipr"

At the moment we build our kernels statically to have everything we need. We do configure the "ipr" but we do not config the "sym53c8xx", and its not in your "lsmod" list below. you could try compiling that one in as well, but I don't think it will solve your specific problem.

    initrd = /boot/initrd

the modules come from this ramdisk, but my guess is the ramdisk does other stuff as well.
if you take this initrd and copy to you build machine, then:
  1. $ gzip -c initrd > ramdisk.image.gz
  2. $ cp ramdisk.image.gc <linux build>/arch/powerpc/boot
  3. $ make <linux flags> zImage.initrd

Then try using <linux build>/arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.initrd as your Dom0

You can ignore all the mod load errors.

lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
iptable_filter         21792  0
ip_tables              37096  1 iptable_filter
x_tables               37112  1 ip_tables
joydev                 32088  0
st                     68608  0
sr_mod                 42916  0
ide_cd 73072 0cdrom 64784 2 sr_mod,ide_cd
ipv6                  464208  22
apparmor              102332  0
aamatch_pcre           34720  1 apparmor
loop                   40608  0
dm_mod                115288  0
qla2xxx               239416  0
tg3                   155244  0
scsi_transport_fc      64228  1 qla2xxx
sg                     69064  0
ipr                   109488  2
firmware_class         32952  2 qla2xxx,ipr
sd_mod                 41264  3
scsi_mod 221384 7 st,sr_mod,qla2xxx,scsi_transport_fc,sg,ipr,sd_mod

hmm, I guess "sym53c8xx" loaded, did not find anything and unloaded.

'init' crashes with sig 11, segfault:

So I'm hoping that this is a "udev" issue and either it is because the ramdisk is not present or the version of udev is not compatible with the kernel we are building.
0000000000000000 : boot cpu     0000000000000000
copying OF device tree ...
[...]
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line:

hmm, how did you get away with no cmdline?

 -> maple_init_IRQ
[...]

ReiserFS: sda3: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: sda3: using ordered data mode
ReiserFS: sda3: journal params: device sda3, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit0
ReiserFS: sda3: checking transaction log (sda3)
ReiserFS: sda3: Using r5 hash to sort names
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 232k freed
init has generated signal 11 but has no handler for it
 <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..<0>Maple: Unable to find NVRAM
Maple: Manual Restart Required
System Halted, OK to turn off power

you might want to try booting with init=/bin/bash to see whats missing.
-JX