RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: pv_ops polish: config option & head file

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 14:07 +0800, Dong, Eddie wrote:

> Something I want to get clarified first, eventually with pv_ops patch
> series
> get in, RH eventually will only compile to get one image to run on
> different
> platforms including xen machine. In this way all the codes with
> CONFIG_XEN today must be either checked in as generic code, or pv_ops
>  except for those dual compile codes such as IVT & gate.
>
> In other word, CONFIG_XEN will disappear mostly. RIght?
>
> Xen machine vector also needs to be compiled when in
> CONFIG_IA64_GENERIC.

   I think CONFIG_XEN might become something like CONFIG_PARAVIRT_XEN,
which will be dependent on CONFIG_PARAVIRT.  There might also be
CONFIG_PARAVIRT_LGUEST, CONFIG_PARAVIRT_KVM, etc...  I think that would
fit the typical Linux model of being able to selectively include
features.  We'll need to make sure distributions set these the way we
want and maybe add it to the defconfig once the code is stabilized.  The
Xen machine vector will need to be included in CONFIG_IA64_GENERIC, but
it will also depend on CONFIG_PARAVIRT_XEN.  Does that sound reasonable?
Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.