Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] PATCH [resend]: more case handled in mmio.c

To: "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] PATCH [resend]: more case handled in mmio.c
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:44:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:40:35 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, but don't worry I have tested it.

> Currently, every time domain switch, all floating registers are saved.
> So lazy floating registers save/restore algorithm is not implemented in
> xen.
Right.

> It's not ease. :-).
> When domain switch happens, below function is called.
> /* load f32-f127 from FPH */
> static inline void
> ia64_load_fpu (struct ia64_fpreg *fph) {
>       ia64_fph_enable();
>       __ia64_load_fpu(fph);
>       ia64_fph_disable();
> }
> Fph is disabled, and if getfpreg is called, disabled floating
> Register fault may happen.
Correct, but this doesn't happen in the mmio case, because fp_reg_disabled is
tested before doing the memory access.

> Because all fr are saved at domain switch, seems VMM don't
> Need to disable fph.
Yes.

> My question is,
> Do we need to implement lazy fr algorithm?
Only if performance are improved !
I will add this on my todo list.

> If yes, we need to handle disabled fr fault and not need to save
> all fr at domain switch.
Yes.

> If no, we can simply remove all ia64_fph_enable() and ia64_fph_disable()
> in VMM.
Don't remove ia64_fph_enable, or else we won't be able to save fp regs!

> What's your option?

Tristan.