[Xen-devel] Re: XENOPROF Problem

To: Andrew Evans <andrewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: XENOPROF Problem
From: Ahmad Hassan <ahmad.hassan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:52:58 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:53:41 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=SBGBilUWRbKMeAUAtC6nr9WzvLXiTjfmOTnNdE/DePc=; b=qP4XMqDrxSzzJvXKrBJVAwluMWUB5+uzweOzoLcla+zq57OpxasYarms/q+3LMnuo6 v4C+otalkZWeOXaq6eT1KeSqUuZzVYDhfYI5Q3BaMzahzYDrRidkbk5XC9eOWMHyuf/k LB1vVYcRTh+4F7ytjUsRQ7l26F9yF/5oXeR6s=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the message.

That looks right to me. You also need Xenoprof support in your dom0 kernel. If you're using one of the kernels from the Xen source tree and you can `modprobe oprofile` successfully, you should be ok.

Yes I loaded the oprofile as "modprobe oprofile". It loads successfully.

Dom0: opcontrol --start-daemon --event= CPU_IO_REQUESTS_TO_MEMORY_IO:1000000 --xen=/boot/xen-syms-3.4.1   --vmlinux=/boot/vmlinux  --passive-domains=1 --passive-images=/boot/vmlinux
At the above command, I get the warning as : /dev/oprofile/passive-domains Permission Denied but daemon starts eventually

If i start the Dom0 daemon for passive domains using the above command  the the following exact output I get

At the above command, I get the warning as : /dev/oprofile/passive-domains Permission Denied
Using 2.6+ OProfile kernel interface.
Using log file /var/lib/oprofile/oprofiled.log
Daemon started.
Profiler running

Yes I am running it as a root. If I look at the /dev/oprofile the I don't find any file name passive-domains.

Opreport -l shows the following error:

"opreport error: No sample file found: try running opcontrol --dump or specfiy a session containing sample file"

When I try active-domains option then inside DomU, I get the following error while starting the daemon:

"You cannot specify any performance counter events because OProfile is in timer mode."

Why the above error appears for active domains? Do I need to pass "lapic" parameter in the grub file of dom0?

Thanks for the help

Best Regards, Hassan