Re: [Xen-devel] RFS: xen-qemu-dm (new package)

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RFS: xen-qemu-dm (new package)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:59:14 +0200
Cc: Debian Xen Team <pkg-xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Motschke <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:59:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 05:48:41PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe the package is ready:
>
> http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/lenny/main/x/xen-qemu-dm-3.4/xen-qemu-dm-3.4_3.4.2-1.dsc
>
> I asked Ian Jackson to sponsor it (he works for Citrix and is a DD), but
> it's been 2 weeks, and he seems busy with work.
>
> I'd be glad if someone was sponsoring the upload of this package in
> Debian SID, soon enough so that people will be able to test it before
> Squeeze is out.
>
> A bit of information about this package:
>
> - I have asked stuffs and got answers about them form the xen-devel list
> and the person responsible for the Xen qemu-dm (Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>), and got answers to all of them
>
> - my package is using the start of a package that Bastian gave to me.
> It's lintian clean, and I believe it is production ready.
>
> - Christian Motschke <christian@xxxxxxxxxxx> tested it, and reported it
> is working as expected with Xen 3.4.
>
> - There's currently a dependency to qemu-system as it holds the keymaps.
> I asked however that the keymaps are shipped separately, in a smaller
> package, so that my package has a smaller installed footprint. Until
> then, I believe it's fine to depend on qemu-system (even if it pulls too
> much things, it's not really bothering).
>
> Thomas
>
> P.S: By the way, are there plans to have Xen 4.0.0 included in Squeeze,
> is it already too late, or too early to be able to tell? Maybe in
> Experimental? If I'm not mistaking, there's also a new version of Qemu
> for Xen that would be needed.

Yeah, Xen 4.0 uses a newer version of qemu-dm, with more patches.

Changelogs here:

qemu-xen-unstable for xen-unstable (upcoming Xen 4.0):
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb?p=qemu-xen-unstable.git;a=summary

qemu-xen-3.4-testing for xen-3.4-testing (Xen 3.4.x releases):
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb?p=qemu-xen-3.4-testing.git;a=summary

-- Pasi