AW: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Future of xenbits Linux trees

To: "keir.fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, kraxel <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Future of xenbits Linux trees
From: "Carsten Schiers" <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 19:58:36 +0200
Cc: yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jeremy <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "chris.ace" <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:59:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Go ahead!  It is really time to stop forward-porting stuff.  The time
is
> much better spent in adding the missing features to pv_ops/dom0.  Also

> just after the 3.4 release is the perfect moment for that move, 3.5
> should be able to ship with a pv_ops based kernel then.

I'd vote for that, too. Whatever comes out of that discussion on
"coolness"
on lkml ;o), I guess pv_ops is what will be the outcome. Inside or
outside
the linux kernel tree.

What I'd like to add is that I would prefer a better tagging of the
kernel
repo to identify subversion of the kernel that belong to a certain
version
of Xen, whatever kernel that might be. Fixes and improvements are
happening
so quickly that on the pure user's side the combination can make a
difference,
no matter how much effort you put in to keep it independent.

BR,
Carsten.