Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xenheap disappearance: (was: xen_phys_start for 32b)

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xenheap disappearance: (was: xen_phys_start for 32b)
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:51:10 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:51:18 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 15/01/2009 18:15, "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Xmalloc/xfree can use alloc_domheap_pages always on x86/64.
>> A temporary
>> ifdef inside xmalloc is better than an extra xmalloc interface.
>
> OK, I see.  So what you want is xmalloc to be the only interface.
> And "temporary" means until Xen no longer supports 32-bit at all?

I mean until I get rid of restricted xenheap for x86/64 (and you've caused
me to go look at that patch again now, so hopefully I can get it debugged
and in next week).

> Will you take this patch then?  I think this patch meets your
> objectives and is greatly simplified.

This is indeed the patch I had in mind.

>> Also, this will be a small patch you can carry in your own
>> patchset for now.
>
> I'm just trying to contribute to your stated objective:
>
>> Xenheap will disappear entirely on x86/64 in future.
>
> and trying to get the syntax/semantics pinned down.  Is
> this not what you intended to implement for 3.4?  Or did
> you have something entirely different in mind?

I think the patch you attached will work just fine for you for now. If your
stuff goes in before getting rid of xenheap restrictions on x86/64, then I
would take this patch at that time. But I think that's unlikely. Well, I
hope it is, unless I stall on my xenheap patch again. :-)

 -- Keir