Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support

To: Michael Abd-El-Malek <mabdelmalek@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:57:37 -0500
Cc: Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:58:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 09:01 -0500, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
Is 64-bit domU support available anywhere at the moment?  For example,
what is the status of the git://git.et.redhat.com/xen-pvops-64.git
tree?  I pulled that tree and tried building 64-bit Xen domU support
(since this tree allows you to configure the kernel with that
capability, unlike the vanilla Linux tree).  But compilation failed in
enlighten.c because xen_smp_ops isn't defined in x86_64.

Try building without CONFIG_SMP, it doesn't support that yet.

Other than SMP support, does the tree represent a fully functional 64-bit PV domU support? Does it also allow all hypercalls? Put another way: is a 64-bit PV domU from that tree less capable than a 64-bit PV domU from Xen's linux-2.6.18.8 tree?

The 32-bit domU implementation is less capable than 2.6.18-xen. For example, it does not yet support suspend/resume/migrate or ballooning, and a number of interesting features are not yet in a released kernel (pvfb). Further out I hope we'll get things like dom0 support in as well.

(I'm not sure what you mean by "allow all hypercalls"; do you mean "all features"?)