Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support

To: Michael Abd-El-Malek <mabdelmalek@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:29:51 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:31:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
Hello,

Can someone tell me what the status of 64-bit paravirtualization support is in the vanilla Linux tree? It seems that 2.6.24 only has 32-bit PV support. And it seems that 2.6.25 will be getting 64-bit PV support. Will it be complete?

No, 2.6.25 will not have 64-bit Xen support. I'm hoping it will be ready for .26.

On a related note: is it possible to compile the PV network/block drivers for a HVM Linux guest with the newest kernels? Compilation failed and a previous message on the list says that you can't do that. The reason I'd want to do this is to let me run a 64-bit recent Linux kernel with PV drivers.

No, we don't support that for the moment, though it would be a useful thing to have.