Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support

To: Michael Abd-El-Malek <mabdelmalek@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:01:26 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:02:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
Is 64-bit domU support available anywhere at the moment? For example, what is the status of the git://git.et.redhat.com/xen-pvops-64.git tree? I pulled that tree and tried building 64-bit Xen domU support (since this tree allows you to configure the kernel with that capability, unlike the vanilla Linux tree). But compilation failed in enlighten.c because xen_smp_ops isn't defined in x86_64.

Redhat have some patches which they're shipping in Fedora 9. Once F9 is out the door, I'm hoping they'll polish them into an upstreamable form. I don't know whether that git tree represents what's in F9, or if that's somewhere else; at the very least I'd expect you'd be able to pull the patches out of the srpm.

On a related note: is it possible to compile the PV network/block drivers for a HVM Linux guest with the newest kernels? Compilation failed and a previous message on the list says that you can't do that. The reason I'd want to do this is to let me run a 64-bit recent Linux kernel with PV drivers.

No, we don't support that for the moment, though it would be a useful thing to have.

Is there a reason this wouldn't work, or is it just "scripting changes" that need to be done?

In order to simplify the initial upstreaming work, I removed the support for pv-in-hvm, since it adds a moderate amount of extra complexity. We'd need to put that back in - it shouldn't be too hard, but it hasn't been a priority so far.