Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: vaddr_t and vsize_t

To: Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: vaddr_t and vsize_t
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:51:58 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:51:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 17/1/07 16:21, "Christoph Egger" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> This stuff is about removing a place where programmers can make mistakes.
> vaddr_t also avoids void * arithmetics. It should be possible then to use
> -Wpointer-arith.

A bunch of our void* arithmetic comes from files we keep in sync with Linux.
So we'd really need Linux to clean this up before we use -Wpointer-arith, or
we have to do extra porting effort to keep files in sync.

I suppose I don't mind vaddr_t being defined and people using it if they
want to. At least it is probably clearer that translation to/from char* or
long to do pointer arithmetic. However, I'm less sure about a wholesale
conversion of Xen away from use of 'unsigned long'.

 -- Keir