[Xen-devel] Re: Kernel with very low memory requirement (~12MB) for domU

CJ van den Berg wrote:
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:56:34PM +0100, Rickard Borgmäster wrote:

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg
cd linux-2.6-xen.hg
cp ~/config-vandenberg .config
make
cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-rc1-xenU
cp System.map System.map-2.6.16-rc1-xenU
xm create -c /crab/.xen/crab-domU.cfg
> Just to be certain I followed these exact steps, except of course that I
used my own config instead of crab-domU.cfg, including pulling a completely
new clone. It builds and boots just fine, although it won't run with
memory=10 anymore. It now only works from memory=12 up. If you want I can
send you the built kernel in a private mail.

Please do, reply to my private email in the header. If it boots on 12 it is good enough for me. But I could probably strip it further to make sure it would fit a smaller memory footprint.

disk = ['cow:/crab/.xen/crab-domU.cfg 30, hda1,w']
disk = ['file:/crab/.xen/crab-domU.cfg, hda1,w']

And this definitely must be wrong.

s/cfg/img :-)

I wonder if there is something else on the system that produces broken kernels. Bad compiler or mismatched libraries.

I guess I do not need xen installed to compile the kernel, right? Maybe I should try to ssh to my home machine (which I know is 100% fine) and compile on that. It it also faster..

But anyways, please send me the binary kernel and the system.map and I will test it.

Thanks!

Rickard Borgmäster