Re: [Xen-devel] Installing Xen on FC3

To: drhodus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Installing Xen on FC3
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:48:09 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 07:48:08 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The right lists are xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (for development
questions) and xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (for more general user
questions). You can sign up at http://lists.xensource.com.

>I downloaded xen-2.0.5-install.tgz and found the few dependency's it
>needed and was able to successfully run the install.sh script and
>install everything.
>
>Here is what I currently have in my menu.lst/grub.conf file.  I have
>tried *several* combinations of things but nothing has worked so far.
>The example listed in the README text file that comes with Xen said to
>use /boot/xen.tgz etc... but that always returned Error 15: File no
>Found.

The README assumes that you have no special /boot partition (i.e. that
the contents of /boot are on the / filesystem). As noted in the comments
at the top of your grub config, your system does have a special /boot
partition, and hence paths are relative to that.

>The current file doesn't return an error but the machine very quickly resets.

The "path problem" looks ok with the below config (assuming that you
have files xen.gz and vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 under /boot). There are a
few other errors though:

   (1) "kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 ro console=vga" ; xen doesn't
       take a 'ro' option, so just remove that

   (2) "module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 ro root=/dev/hda0"; you have a
       bogus root partition (/dev/hda0) -- there's no such device.
       Not sure what this should be; your FC3 install is using a
       logical volume manager so you may be able to use this directly
       (with relevant support in the kernel and/or initrd), or you
       may wish to directly specify the 'real' partition if you're
       not using raid.

   (3) "module /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img"; this initrd looks like it
       belongs to the FC3 kernel and is unlikely to work with the
       xen0 kernel.

You say the machine restarts very quickly; perhaps you should remove
the lines "splashimage" and "hiddenmenu" and see if you get any
console output. You may wish to add the option "noreboot" to the
"kernel /xen.gz ..." line if you find things rebooting too quickly.

HTH,

S.