Re: [Xen-devel] Xen newbie: inter-domain communication

To: Chotu Ram <chotwo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen newbie: inter-domain communication
From: Derrik Pates <dpates@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:59:27 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:00:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chotu Ram wrote:
1. As far as I can understand (and I might be wrong) Xen maintains two domains dom0 (control domain) and dom1 (the other guest OSes). When the documentation says inter-domain communication, is it only referring to the communication between the dom0 and dom1, or it can also be applied to the communication among the guest OSes (unprivileged that is).

A "domain" is a single virtual execution space, more or less. Each "virtual machine" is a separate domain. (When you do "xm list", the "Id" field is the "domain ID".) So yes, an inter-domain commmunication channel can exist between domain 0 and any other domain (running virtual machine).

2. What are the capabilities of the inter-domain communication method. Specifically: what protocol is used to communicate?, what kind of information can be communicated? Can this communication be used for logging/auditing? Does anybody has any experience using this method or has any working example?

As I understand, the "protocol" is basically just a per-channel "interrupt" (to get the other side's attention as needed), and a shared page, which is exchanged between the two domains as needed (only one can be interacting with it at a time, I think). The virtual block device driver and virtual network interface driver, as I understand it, structure it as a big ring buffer, and encode messages (and assign pages of their allocated memory to the other side of the channel for a DMA-like exchange method) in that ring buffer. Look at the developer documentation for a better explanation.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@xxxxxxxxxx