Re: [Xen-devel] unable to start X in domains other than 0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] unable to start X in domains other than 0
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 02:37:40 +0000
Cc: jessie smart <jessiesmart354@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:57:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am trying to start x on dom1 so that i have access
> to the desktop on that linux boot.

Sorry but you can't just start a normal X server under domains other than
dom0.  XenLinux doesn't provide a virtual display device, so this isn't going
to work.

To get a desktop, use a conventional network-based virtual display system.
For instance:

1) just SSH to the domain from dom0 with X forwarding enabled (ssh -X) and run
whatever graphical apps you want
2) run the xnest X server in dom0 either run XDM in dom1 or forward over SSH
3) run vncserver (there's probably a package with your distribution) in dom1
and vncviewer in dom0
4) run Nomachine's NX server in dom1 (or FreeNX, if you can get it to work)
and an NX viewer in dom0.

The procedure for configuring these is the same as for a standalone machine -
your distro will have packages for xnest, and VNC stuff.  We used VNC for the
demo at OLS - there are screenshots on http://xen.sf.net.

HTH,
Mark