[Xen-devel] Xen newbie: inter-domain communication

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen newbie: inter-domain communication
From: "Chotu Ram" <chotwo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:42:25 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:34:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I have started exploring Xen couple of weeks back and have some questions regarding the inter-domain communication and the save/restore method used for hibernation of domains.

1. As far as I can understand (and I might be wrong) Xen maintains two domains dom0 (control domain) and dom1 (the other guest OSes). When the documentation says inter-domain communication, is it only referring to the communication between the dom0 and dom1, or it can also be applied to the communication among the guest OSes (unprivileged that is).

2. What are the capabilities of the inter-domain communication method. Specifically: what protocol is used to communicate?, what kind of information can be communicated? Can this communication be used for logging/auditing? Does anybody has any experience using this method or has any working example?

3. When the domain save operation is done, Xen saves the memory image to a file and then uses it back to restore the domain (with xm save/restore commands). What is the format of this image file. Can it be read somehow to know the status of the guest OS when it was hibernated? I am sure restore function will read it somehow and use it to restore the domain, but any direct way to understand it... like an example or something like that?

I would appreciate any help regarding these queries.

Thanks

Chotu