RE: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM
From: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:04:22 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:06:38 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bk pull only showed 2 patches, neither of which affected kernels so I didn't bother recompiling.

I have seen an error (shown by my diff script 'compare' or by xend doing silly things like crashing), by simply starting another domain and pinging it with something like:

ping -s 1400 -i 0.001 192.168.200.200

(ping -f might do it but I think it goes a bit fast)

That occured once after about 5 minutes, but then not again for the 10 or so minutes I left it running.

running it out of memory with this code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main() {
        char *buf;
        int mem = 0;
        int size = 1;
        char rnd;
        rnd = rand() & 255;
        while(1) {
                buf = (char *)malloc(size*1024*1024);
                memset(buf, rnd, size*1024*1024);
                if (buf != NULL) {
                        mem += size;
                        printf("%d\n", mem);
                }
        }
}
causes a crash far more quickly. I guess it's possible that those are two different errors though...

James