xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Problems creating an image for Xen hypervisor

To: John Marberg <marberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Problems creating an image for Xen hypervisor
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:59:30 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:59:54 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Marberg wrote:

Hello,

The VSM/CIM team is experiencing difficulties creating a Linux image to be
installed on a Xen hypervisor. Gareth suggested that we post this note to
the distribution. We'd appreciate any feedback on the issues described
below.

1. Testing:

We have not been able to create a functional image for Xen in our
environment.  We have tried SLES tools but have not been able to properly
finish the image creation phase.  We've also tried using a pre-built image
from the Web (jailtime.org); the image we chose works perfectly when we try
it on a RHEL based hypervisor, whereas when we try it on the SLES
hypervisor we cannot properly configure the network. That is, we are able
to boot the image and connect to it with the console, but we cannot get it
to communicate over the network. This means that until we solve this we
will not be able to test anything that relies on collecting information
from the guest (e.g., get guest OS).  In short, in our lab we have not been
able to get any working image on a SLES10 based hypervisor.

SLES10 Beta11? RC1? What tools are you using to create the image? The YaST Virtual Machine Management module makes image creation fairly straight forward. There have been a few issues when installing from DVD or CD, but I think most of these are fixed in RC1. Network installs have worked well for some time. Please provide additional information on your problems.

For your domU network issues, ensure the firewall is configured properly. Perhaps you can disable it as a starting point. Also ensure you specify a MAC address in your domU configuration file. If not, Xen will generate a new one each time the domU is activated, causing the guest to see a new (unconfigured) network interface.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/xen/README.SuSE for additional notes. Also check out the Xen Technical Preview site for latest RPMs, docs, mailing list, etc.

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?xenpreview
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Xen_technical_preview

Post any issues / questions you have concerning Xen and SLES10 to the mailing list.

Regards,
Jim