xen-cim

RE: [Xen-cim] Problems creating an image for Xen hypervisor

To: "John Marberg" <marberg@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-cim] Problems creating an image for Xen hypervisor
From: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:51:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 May 2006 05:52:49 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you are fine with a SLES10 image, then you can try these two options:

1. Follow the Xen user documentation for creating a file backed VBD and
copy the dom0 files into VBD as described here.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes-2.0/user/user.htm
l#SECTION02520000000000000000

2. Make a LVM backed VBD. Mount the LVM logical volume in local mount
point (ex. /mnt/tmp). Then use SLES's "Install into directory" tool and
setup a base install in /mnt/tmp. You can then use the LVM logical
volume as the disk for the DomU. This has worked for me in the past with
SLES9 SP3. I have not tried this with SLES10 but it should work in
theory :-)

Once you have the image running, you can try using SLES's "yast lan"
tool within the DomU console to setup a dummy Ethernet connection and
that should get your network up and running.

Hope this helps.
Aravindh Puthiyaparambil
Xen Development Team
Tredyffrin E240