Re: [Xen-users] Debian & Xen (Was: New to Xen)

At 17:59 -0500 9/11/11, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Simon... thanks for the info. Sounds like things are a little easier since my last round of Xen3/Lenny installs. Have the various nits re. pinning CPUs (to avoid weird crashes) and having to set up clock jiffies gone away - or is there a new round of nits that have to be picked?

Well it's a few months now since I set up my new boxes at home, so things are a bit blurry now. IIRC it was just a matter of installing a base system, then apt-get installing the xen components :

# dpkg -l '*xen*'
||/ Name                     Version
      Description
+++-========================-========================-
ii  libxenstore3.0           4.0.1-2
      Xenstore communications library for Xen
ii  linux-image-2.6-xen-amd6 2.6.32+29
      Linux 2.6 for 64-bit PCs (meta-package), Xen dom0 support
ii  linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen 2.6.32-35
      Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs, Xen dom0 support
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64 4.0.1-2
      The Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
ii  xen-utils-4.0            4.0.1-2
      XEN administrative tools
ii  xen-utils-common         4.0.0-1
      XEN administrative tools - common files
ii  xenstore-utils           4.0.1-2
      Xenstore utilities for Xen

I probably did the base install, made sure that booted etc, then added the Xen kernel and rebooted, then added Xen.

As to clocks, yes that still seems to be an issue. Both at home (AMD64), and at work (i686), I've seen guest clocks drift off - and I've just taken to putting NTP on everything which seems to "just work".

The other niggle is that grub2 doesn't boot Xen by default - so I just moved 10_linux to 25_linux in /etc/grub.d which puts Xen ahead of Linux.

--
Simon Hobson