Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen
From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:20:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:22:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2011, 09:04:22 schrieb admin@xxxxxxx:
> Sadly My IBM 336 servers I want to try it on does not seem to have
> virtualization in Bios as your document requires.
This is only required if you want full virtualization - if you just do PV VT
hardware it is not required.

> Your document seems to suggest (but do not mention) that PV would be
> fine for unmodified Linux guest but that any other operating system
> needs be modified.
> Is that correct?
No,
PV is only possible with operating systems that provide PV DomU functionality
/ hooks / drivers - i.e. Linux, NetBSD (may be Solaris? never tried that) with
Xen (PV) support in kernel.

cheers,

Niels.
--