Re: [Xen-users] Backup running Windows machines - redundancy

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 06:43:40PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Henrik Langos
> <hlangos-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, according to http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/features.html
> > one of the main advantages of rdiff over other forms of file based
> > backups is that it preserves all meta data.
>

> Hmmm ... from that page
>
> ACL and EA support:
> ACLs are not supported, however, on Mac OS X or Windows as those
> systems do not use standard POSIX.1e access controls.

You are right. So there is no complete preservation of meta data.
Though I would still defend that there is a way to do it. It just
hasn't been done in rdiff :-)

Full OS backup that you can be restored into a bootable state is
VERY hard to do though. At the very least you'd need to make sure
that the partition's/disk's boot record is also restored and put
into the right spot.

Also when done from within the windows system there are always files
that are locked by the operating system and most Windows backup
programs use the "Volume Shadow Copy Service" to work around those
problems.

cheers
-henrik