RE: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage

To: "Roland Frei" <frei@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:12:14 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:13:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> i want to setup a easy high availability storage system for xen guest
os.
> (1 pc that run xen and 2 nas for storage)
>
> THE HARDAWARE
>    PC1 runns has 2 physical lan interfaces. the interfaces are
directly
> connected to 2 separated nas.
>    the nas are basic file servers .. no special setup.
>
> GUEST OS
>    on pc1 a host os is installed that runns xen.
>
> XEN
>    xen provides a virtual disc for the guest os. HERE IS THE THING:
instead
> that this virtual disc is stored on one drive, is should be STORED ON
2
> NETWORK SHARES. (something like raid1 over lan)
>
> IN CASE OF CRASH
>    server1 or server 2 can crash completely.
>    lan1 or lan2 can crash or be unplugged
>    switch1 or switch2 can have failure
>    the xen virtual disk "driver"  will continue working on the other
nas.

> AFTER CRASH
>    if both nas/lan run again, the xen virtual disk "driver" should
resync
> the crashed system with the running disc.
>
> THE QUESTION
>    is it possible to setup xen so that is uses the 2 network share to
store
> the virtual discs ?
>
> (of corse there will be many pc's that use this 2 nas systems for
storage
> .. and/or multiple xen can run on it... so at the end nas1 and nas2
will
> host many discs. it would be perfect if the disc taht runs the guest
os
> and xen will be a cd-iso or usb-stick)

You haven't specified a budget so it's hard to know what to recommend.
HP and others make NAS/SAN devices that will do what you want, but don't
expect change out of $20K.

For about 1/10th of that you could set up a few servers and run DRBD
which operates almost exactly as you described.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drbd
http://www.drbd.org/

James