Re: [Xen-users] Tools to take a kernel crash dump.

To: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>, Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Tools to take a kernel crash dump.
From: Sreeharsha Totakura <sreeharsha.totakura@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:55:01 +0530
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 03:25:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Guys,

I have installed netconsole of the server and waiting for the next restart
(crash).

A few things I noted while installing netconsole are:
1. The netconsole kernel module doesn't work on virtual interfaces.
2. The xend service when started will alter the network interfaces. In our
setup, the real eth0 is changes as peth0 and the eth0 is made virtual. I
assume this is done to pacify complaining programs whose setting are set to
use eth0 by default.
3. For installing netconsole, use:
      /sbin/modprobe netconsole
netconsole=6666@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/peth0,6666@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/00:1e:37:42:23:22
      This setting is required because the xen created virtual interface
eth0 doesn't support pooling. Only the real physical interface (peth0)
supports it.

Thanks again for your responses. Will post the kernel crash errors if  we
observe any.

Regards,
Sree Harsha Totakura
Member, Open Source Platform - TEG
Tata Consultancy Services
Ph:- +91-22-67782038
Mailto: sreeharsha.totakura@xxxxxxx
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                  Business Solutions
                  Outsourcing

Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/18/2009 12:47:41 AM:

> Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 07/18/2009 12:47 AM

> Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> cc
>
> Sreeharsha Totakura <sreeharsha.totakura@xxxxxxx>, Xen User-List
> <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [Xen-users] Tools to take a kernel crash dump.
>
> Luke S Crawford wrote:
> > If, for whatever reason, you can't use a serial console, another user
> > suggested netconsole.  (I haven't gotten netconsole working on a
xenified
> > kernel, but that is not to say it can't be done;  I like serial
consoles
> > so I didn't spend much time on netconsole)  - the other downside of
> > netconsole is that it's read only;  fine for looking at your panics,
but
> > it won't help you in the aforementioned 'I changed my firewall and
> now I can't
> > get in' case.
> >
> I have had netconsole working with a debian host. I never did get it
> working in a domU though (I dont know if it would work the way
> networking is done). Netconsole isnt too hard to setup but there is one
> key point. You have to specify the mac address of the destination host.
> Now if your destination host is not on the same subnet as you you need
> to specify the mac of your gateway.
>
> http://www.cmdln.org/2009/01/21/remote-kernel-logging-with-
> netconsole-for-fun-and-profit/
>

> ForwardSourceID:NT000071EA