Re: [Xen-users] expanding img file

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Paul Eskello <paul.eskello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use xen on centos 5.2 x86 and used virt-install to create a few
> virtual machines.

That could be ... tricky.
Did you use LVM on domU, or is it plain partition? (Hint: if you don't
know what I'm talking about, run "fdisk -l" and "df -h" on your domU)

> A few days ago centos 5.3 emerged, but I did not allocate enough
> diskspace for these virtual machines, only 2 gb. That's way too small
> for running yum-upgrade.
>
> So I tried to increase them. With no luck. I found a howto that
> instructs me to mount -o loop /mnt /vm/foo.img, but that fails:
> "mount: you must specify the filesystem type" .

It won't work. Depends on how you setup domU, to mount it on dom0 you also need:
- kpartx
- pvscan/vgscan (only if domU uses LVM)

> Another option I saw was just appending a gigabyte of /dev/zero using
> dd. I did that, but the diskspace in the virtual machine stays 2gb.

I hope you backup your domU first before trying that :)

Regards,

Fajar