[Xen-users] Where does Xen store its DomU-state saves? Partitioning and

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Where does Xen store its DomU-state saves? Partitioning and LVM Question
From: Evan Miller <forums.office@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:57:25 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:58:02 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from :user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=ZOFa/HNBGN3t19oDF4zBgkcnztrRNGGksKKu7/LKJuA=; b=f+A5aO2Uu/5imqZ4BiNosNYWVphZ2WlP9xmHxmQf51Ji9MGf0bFMQhyHjX0WZ4YP1e QiNtPUpnYHk0R6c3ZZM+8ypP6U1Z3AnlVAPb8BiUGA6nE1U/UHfKQgsGo+e2r2XLhzZl DzT+7bRl1+II3QM+6v9LTz5Uff1zWFXgZDXxM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone!

Where does Xen save the "DomU state saves"?

I have been trying to figure out the most time-proof partition scheme for my set up and I was wondering if I could make the folder(?) where Xen 3.2.1 save it's DomU states saves (what is the right expression for this?) and put it on its own LVM partition here is why:

I only have 2GB RAM on my ML570. I will be upgrading memory as I need (up to 32GB).

If Xen saves its DomU-saves to the Dom0's partition then as my server receives more RAM and I will allocate more memory to DomUs that folder with in Dom0 will expand to such large proportions that it chokes of Dom0's hard drive space and crash the system. If I have a LVM in an automatic mode resizing the partitions as needed I should always be in good shape when it comes to that.

Of course this could all be avoided if Xen saves the states to the DomU partition and reads them from there accordingly. Somehow I suspect that Xen saves the DomU state saves somewhere on the Dom0 partition by default (if you only have a "/" partition containing the whole Dom0).

I'm still attempting to figure out the best partitioning scheme for my boxes...any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

Evan Miller

I found many good guides, but it seems that they all lack:
A. recommended partitioning scheme and/or
   B. LVM set up

**************************************
I was following the http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 guide and
everything went well for a while, but the [new] Xen version was incompatible
with some of the instructions so I set out to look for a more recent guide
and found out that there is a much easier way to install Xen (from sources)
now and that I should use LVM.

The above link was the only one that gave the detailed partitioning
recommendations I needed:

•        /boot 150 MB (Primary) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
(ext3)
(Bootable flag: on <-- important, otherwise your system will not boot!)
•        swap 1GB (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
•        / 3GB (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning) (ext3)
•        /vserver the rest (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
(ext3)

Unfortunately it is missing instructions for using LVM.

This guide mentions LVM, but has proprietary partitioning scheme and old Xen
version: http://www.d7031.de/text/xen_with_lvm_under_etch.shtml

http://www.cosmocode.de/en/blogs/gohr/20070130123639/ - This guide gets very
close covering both, but it is outdated and I am wary about mixing the
original guide's ( http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 )
partitioning scheme and this one.

I also was hoping to achieve the internal routing and the best guides that
seem to cover that are the original guide I mentioned and the
http://xgu.ru/wiki/Xenomips/en (later one is a bit beyond me at this time).

**************************************

I am sorry for the convoluted first post - I think it reflects my mind state
at this time! XD

I would like to introduce myself to all of you: My name is Evan, I am a *NIX
newbie, I have been "messing about" with Linux distos since 2001 and about
as long with FreeBSD. Unfortunately I have not ventured far beyond GUI and
always came back to Windows XP.
Lately I was put in charge of creating a test set up for our startup so I
have been forced to learn many things at once while producing some sort of
positive results on a very tight schedule.

We have decided that a Xen setup running on top of Etch was the way to go,
but actually implementing such a setup has proven to be very challenging.

I would appreciate any help, but please keep in mind my limited linux and
non-gui experience (I'm just learning to appreciate vi).

**************************************

Hardware:

I have 2 Xen candidates:

1. ML570 2G Server with 4 2.4GHz Xeons, 2GB PC 2100 Ram (6GB more coming)
and 6 15k 73GB SCSI drives (and 6 more to come) running on the the LSI 320-2
controller in Raid0 soon to be backed up on to 2 SATA 2 1TB Drives running
off a SATA 300 Promise controller.

2. Intel Pentium D 820 (dual core 2.8GHz) based desktop with 1GB ram and
on-board sata 150 running a 240GB SATA drive (more drives and memory will be
added). The P5LP-LE motherboard (
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us )
supports VT chips so at some point we may upgrade this box to Intel VT cpu
(I am not sure if I will have to reinstall the VT enabled Xen at that point
or not).

Eventually I would like to run a mix of:
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/24435/ and http://xgu.ru/wiki/Xenomips/en
and have the ability to move live machines from the ML570 to the Desktop 820
D system at night to save on power.

**************************************

For now I would be happy with a solid partition recommendation to get me
started on the way to these goals.
I will start with the Desktop D 820 system with Etch running as Dom0 on a
250GB SATA drive.

I would like to eventually have a GUI access to managing Xen DomUs so I
thought I would mention this encase a 3GB root partition (
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 )  would be too small.

Keeping all above in mind what would be the recommended partition scheme for
the 250GB drive?

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

=)