Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:19:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:19:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday June 21 2008 11:38:54 am Paul Schulze wrote:
> Well, I can't tell you how Xen VNC ought to work, because I've never
> seen it work correctly, except for when I'm running my Xorg session.
> However, I wouldn't use init to restart X for testing. Assuming you
> are using a graphical login manager (xdm/gdm/kdm), you're probably
> better off just restarting that (like /etc/init.d/gdm restart or
> something, no clue if this works the same way on Fedora systems as it
> does on Debian based ones).

Unfortunately, not on Fedora. On SuSE, it's /etc/init.d/xdm, where the actual
window manager used is set in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager. Near as I can
tell in Fedora, it's setup by /etc/rc.d/rc, not a service, hence the need for
init.

> I would say that depends. In Hardy you actually have two choices for
> the Xen installation, 3.1(.0) or 3.2(.0). I am using 3.2 and it uses
> qemu-dm for VNC, though I imagine 3.1 is still using xen-vncfb. So
> there is also the possibility of Xorg working correctly with Xen 3.1,

Something I hadn't considered, or even known about. Thanx.

> since xen-vncfb might not suffer from the same problem with the
> pixclock, which, as I recall, has something to do with the monitor
> connection/detection. Setting it to 0 like qemu-dm or xenfb (no clue
> which one is responsible) seems to be a bad choice even if it is the
> logical one in this case). Lets hope this will be taken into
> consideration in the future development of applications, relying on
> framebuffer, or the responsible component.

Yeah, well what's expedient to fix a bug is not what always is rigorously
correct. :-)

> > I hope not! It seems strange that I've only seen a handful of
> > complainers
> > about Hardy vnc support this year. Do Hardy-ers not use vnc, or
> > does it work
> > for most of them?
>
> That's actually not strange at all, if you consider some things:
> Virtualization of Linux is mainly used for servers, which in general
> don't need VNC access and in my opinion are better off with just SSH
> access anyways.

Ok.