Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:51:26 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:52:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thursday June 05 2008
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ray Barnes" <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx>

On Thursday June 05 2008 03:32:08 pm you wrote:
> >> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-04/msg00686.html
> >>. dom0 is Cent 5.1 with Xen 3.2.1 compiled from source.
> >
> > Did you read all of that thread?:
>
> Sure, did you read mine?  I believe I said something about "without
> any success".
>
> >> Try type <ctrl>-<alt>-1. You accidentally have gotten into the monitor
> >> mode of qemu-dm.
>
> It didn't do anything; console still says "parallel0 console".  It
> doesn't spawn a login prompt and it doesn't echo anything I type.

Now I know how far you got. Maybe vnc doesn't have anything to say, because of
a mis-configuration of the frame buffer. I'm not sure how you created the
domu, but on CentOS dom0 and with virt-manager, it should have set that up
for you correctly. Since this is Debian w/xen 3.2.1, double check your domu's
xorg.conf. (ssh into the domain, or shut it down and mount it.) Modern xens
(since 3.1.2) use the video device 'fbdev'. Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
before and after any changes. Hope that was more helpful.