[Xen-users] Re: Windows Disk performance

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Windows Disk performance
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 17:36:04 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:36:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Harper schrieb:
I'm a little unsure of how much trust to put in that
though as hdparm in Dom0 gives me a maximum of 35MB/s on that lvm
device, so I can't quite figure out how a HVM DomU could be getting
better results than the hdparm baseline figure.

hdparm is not a good choice for actual hard disk performance testing when RAID is being used (I assume you have your LVs on top of an array). Try bonnie for actual results, although I'm not sure this can be directly compared to Windows iometer results...

On another topic, would you mind test signing the drivers before packaging them and distributing the certificate? This would make testing on x64 2008/Vista a lot easier. I already added a note in the wiki, but because the drivers are packaged now it's not so easy to self test sign them before they are being used. But if you would distribute the certificate with the drivers (import before driver installation) and check for test sign mode on x64 then it would work on-the-fly...

If you ever hit something near 1.0 we should start thinking about a class 3 code signing certificate at some point ;-)

Best regards,
   Christian